Thursday, February 25, 2016

He Sleeps Alone

For some time now I have listened to the band Two Door Cinema Club; they really have a great feel and sound to their music. Their song "Sleep Alone" is one I particularly love and, fittingly, it's been on my mind lately.

"He sleeps alone
He needs no army where he's headed
'Cause he knows
That they're just ghosts
And they can't hurt him
If he can't see them, oh

And I may go
To places I have never been to
Just to find
The deepest desires in my mind.

It's in my head
And I have said
That I must be like him now
He sleeps alone,
He sleeps alone.

And I don't know
If in the morning I will be here
And if so
Let it be known
That I was worthy
I was worthy
I was worthy
I was."

It's always crazy to me how music can be so powerful and so intuitive. At times, it can be an exact expression of what's inside your head (both what you knew was there, and what you had long felt but never explicitly identified). 

That's what this song is for me-- because I often face ghosts whose only power is my perception of them; because I want nothing more than to understand what I want; because I don't know how long I will be where I am now, but I want them to know that I tried, that I loved, that I was worthy.

And because like him, I sleep alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment